Audio: MSNBC's Chris Matthews Insists He Tries to Examine American Politics 'Objectively'
The former Tip O'Neill staffer-turned-political analyst who'd never heard of congressional insider trading until President Obama mentioned it in last week's State of the Union insists he is unaware of the Bush Derangement Syndrome of many on the Left during the former president's tenure in the Oval Office. What's more, that's not his bias talking, it's just objective reality.
"There's a real level of national hatred of the president that I hadn't seen before. Certainly not under Clinton or under Dubya," MSNBC Hardball host Chris Matthews argued on WMAL radio's Morning Majority program this morning. "The hatred, the Hitler mustaches, all that stuff, I haven't seen that before," Matthews added, prompting co-hosts Mary Katharine Ham and Bryan Nehman to incredulously retort that, no, in fact, the Left used Hitler comparisons against the former president.
"You guys have a point of view and I'm trying to look at this objectively," Matthews retorted after the conservative hosts challenged his ludicrous assertion.
Ah yes, the ever-objective Chris Matthews, who has, on national TV:
- Said shortly after Obama's election that it was his "job" to ensure President Obama has a "successful presidency"
- Fantasized about Dick Cheney waterboarding Karl Rove
- Grossly misrepresented and never issued an outright correction about, the size of the federal government under Obama
- Insisted he'd vote for Jon Huntsman were he a New Hampshire primary voter
- Insisted Rick Santorum favors constructing a "theocracy" that would "trump" the Constitution
- Conspiratorially posited that John Edwards's criminal indictment was right-wing "revenge"
- Bashed the Republican Party at-large as "anti-science" and "troglodyte"
- Fantasized about Rush Limbaugh meeting a Bond villain-like demise
The examples of Matthews's hysterical and cartoonish liberal biases are legion and documented here.
<<Like this post? Help us take on media bias by donating to NewsBusters (there's also a PayPal option on that page) and by signing the MRC's Tell the Truth! 2012 petition. Without the support of our readers, NewsBusters would not be possible.>>
Also of note from this morning's interview was how co-host Mary Katharine Ham called Matthews on his "histrionics" about the Tea Party movement:
MATTHEWS: To be honest with you, I don't remember ever me, Chris Matthews, ever saying a word about the town halls on the Right being violent.
HAM: Uh, you did. You referred to a man who facetiously referred to himself as a right-wing terrorist, you said that that kind--
MATTHEWS: Well, of course, I quoted him.
HAM: --of language would push us, would push us to violence of the worst kind you didn't even want to imagine it.
MATTHEWS: Okay. Well, I wish they amended it at the time.
HAM: Right, so I'm just saying, it seems like this movement is at least equally scary.
MATTHEWS: Mary Katharine, I call them as I see them...
You can listen to the full, nearly 10-minute-long interview here or by clicking play below. The discussion contrasting the Tea Party movement with the Occupy movement starts around the 6:10 mark.