I was just beginning my read of Ellen Goodman's Boston Globe column today, which argues that Nancy Pelosi is being "demonized" and "used to frighten voters everywhere." Goodman gripes that, among other things, Pelosi is being depicted as a Michael Moore clone. By superb serendipity, at that very moment, Rush Limbaugh began a systematic catologuing of Pelosi's votes over the years proving that the possible Speaker-to-be is, well, a Michael Moore clone.
Rush cited this Washington Times editorial, noting that Pelosi:
- Consistently voted against welfare reform, including the 1996 bill signed by President Clinton
- Opposed a constitutional amendment to permit school prayer in the classroom.
- opposed allowing state and local governments to display the Ten Commandments on public property, including schools.
- Voted against education IRAs. Opposed a $10 million program for school vouchers in the District of Columbia.
- Always opposed drilling for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
- Voted to reduce funds for the B-2 intercontinental bomber, which performed superbly in the 1999 Kosovo War, in 2001 in Afghanistan and in Iraq.
- Repeatedly opposed anti-missile defense, even as a nuclear-armed North Korea has tested ballistic missiles.
Along the way, the Washington Times reports that she has earned a lifetime ADA rating of 96 percent. Last year, the American Conservative Union gave her a 0 rating. Her lifetime ACU rating is 3 percent.
Working title for the Pelosi bio pic: "Michael & Me".
Mark Finkelstein lives in Ithaca, NY. He will be reporting for MRC from Baghdad and Fallujah later this month.. Contact Mark at firstname.lastname@example.org