CNN Only Tells Anti-BENGAY Side of Tragic Tale
“American Morning” today included an interview with the mother of the track athlete who apparently died from an overdose of the well-known muscle cream.
Alice-Lynn Newman called for the regulation of products like BENGAY on the June 12 program:
“I think that it should be given by prescription so limited amounts are given out, limited amounts at a time. So, if someone is using it too much, it is monitored by a physician,” said Newman.
Anchor John Roberts did not mention other possible factors involved in Arielle Newman’s death and only provided a short statement from manufacturer Johnson & Johnson Consumer Companies, Inc. Nor did CNN include consult any medical experts on the show.
Medical examiners said Newman’s daughter Arielle died on April 3 from the combination of the overuse of methyl salicylate, an anti-inflammatory found in Bengay and Icy Hot. CBS reported that they also found six times the safe level of the drug in Newman.
Alice-Lynn Newman told Roberts that her daughter did not overuse anti-inflammatory products – yet she advocated restricting sale to prescription only in order to prevent overuse of the product.
“In addition to the cream, [Arielle] Newman was using adhesive pads containing the anti-inflammatory, plus an unspecified third product containing the chemical,” according to an AP report.
Roberts did ask Alice-Lynn Newman about the unspecified third product that may have contributed to the tragedy, but she insisted the pads did not contain the same medication and did not comment on the third product.
He also pointed out that the product has been on the market since 1898 and it is safe and effective when used as directed according to the product's label, which includes a warning label.