Here's how to connect to the NewsBusters real-time chat server:
- Download and install Gaim. Link is here. Make sure to check the "Run Gaim" box at the end.
- Once running Gaim, you will see two windows. In the Accounts window, click the Add button.
- Change the protocol to IRC.
- In the server name, type live.newsbusters.org
- Choose the screen name you want. No spaces are allows so use underscores (_) instead. I recommend using your NB user name.
- Leave the password field and all other boxes empty.
- Push Save button at the bottom.
- In the box that pops up, type the following: /join #mrc2007 and push Enter
That should do the trick for you.
Matthew Sheffield, creator of NewsBusters and president of Dialog New Media, an internet marketing and design firm, left NewsBusters at the end of 2013