Garrison Keillor thinks lousy holiday songs written by Jewish guys trash up America's malls every year.
So wrote the public radio host and satirist in an article at Wednesday's Baltimore Sun called "Nonbelievers, Please Leave Christmas Alone."
Unitarians listen to the Inner Voice and so they have no creed that they all stand up and recite in unison, and that's their perfect right, but it is wrong, wrong, wrong to rewrite "Silent Night." If you don't believe Jesus was God, OK, go write your own damn "Silent Night" and leave ours alone. This is spiritual piracy and cultural elitism, and we Christians have stood for it long enough. And all those lousy holiday songs by Jewish guys that trash up the malls every year, Rudolph and the chestnuts and the rest of that dreck. Did one of our guys write "Grab your loafers, come along if you wanna, and we'll blow that shofar for Rosh Hashanah"? No, we didn't.
Keillor followed this with, "Christmas is a Christian holiday - if you're not in the club, then buzz off."
Well, sir, here's a list of some of America's most-beloved Christmas carols all written by Jews courtesy Interfaith Family (embedded links give details about composers and lyricists):
- The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire)
- Do They Know It's Christmas? (Feed the World)
- Holly Jolly Christmas
- I'll Be Home for Christmas
- It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year
- Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
- Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree
- Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
- Santa Baby
- Santa Claus is Coming to Town
- Silver Bells
- Sleigh Ride
- There's No Place Like Home for the Holidays
- White Christmas
Yeah, I bet Christians would like ALL of these songs banned from shopping malls you anti-Semitic (expletive deleted)!