NewsBuster Tim Graham asked Saturday if comedienne Wanda Sykes, appearing at the annual White House Correspondents' Association Dinner, would really make fun of President Barack Obama or go all gentle.
Well, the answer is likely worse than any of us could have imagined, for Sykes used this platform to attack conservatives rather than the person who is historically roasted at this event.
In fact, her only real knocks on Obama were that he's constantly being photographed with his shirt off, and that if he screws up, everybody will blame it on "the half white guy!"
After some respectful and largely complimentary jokes about the President, including how he's really not all that great on the basketball court, Sykes attacked Republicans, conservative pundits, and white people (video part I embedded right, part II below the fold with some lowlights):
- I know Governor Palin, she's not here tonight. She pulled out at the last minute. You know, somebody should tell her that's not really how you practice abstinence.
- And I have to say to the First Lady, kudos to you for unveiling the bust of the Sojourner of Truth in the White House. That's, yes. And, but, could you do me a favor and please make sure it's nailed down real well since, 'cause you know when the next white guy comes in they gonna move it to the kitchen.
- Rush Limbaugh, one of your big critics, boy, Rush Limbaugh said he hopes this administration fails. So, you're saying "I hope America fails," it's like, I don't care about people losing their homes, or their jobs, our soldiers in Iraq. He just wants the country to fail. To me, that's treason. He's not saying anything differently than what Osama bin Laden is saying. You know, you might want to look into this, Sir, because I think maybe Rush Limbaugh was the 20th hijacker, but he was just so strung out on oxycontin he missed his flight.
- Rush Limbaugh, I hope the country fails, I hope his kidneys fail, how 'bout that? Needs a little waterboarding, that's what he needs.
- Sean Hannity, Sean Hannity said he's going to get waterboarded for charity, for our armed forces. He hasn't done it yet, I see. You know, talking about how he can take a waterboarding. Please. Okay, he can take a waterboarding by someone you know and trust, but let somebody from Pakistan waterboard, or Keith Olbermann. Let Keith Olbermann waterboard him. He can't take a waterboarding. I can break Sean Hannity just by giving him a middle seat in coach.
- Dick Cheney, oh my God, he's a scary man, scares me to death. I tell my kids, I says, "Look, if two cars pull up, and one has a stranger, and the other car has Dick Cheney, you get in the car with the stranger."
- And finally, Sir, they even gave you grief about the dog, about Bo. You know, the animal rights people on you, "Why didn't he get a rescue dog? Why didn't he get a rescue dog?" Look, the man has to rescue a country that's been abused by its previous owner. Let him have a fresh start with a dog.
Nice roasting, Wanda.
So this is the picture of a more united and tolerant America? I don't know about you, but I've never felt more isolated.