Piers Morgan, likely without knowing it, made quite a statement about America's news media Monday.
In an interview with Republican presidential candidate Jon Huntsman on the CNN program bearing his name, the host said, "I've never seen any candidate who has got better press or had more people say he's a great guy, he'd be perfect, who was polling so low" (video follows with transcript and commentary):
PIERS MORGAN: Let me put it to you, though, Jon Huntsman. Here's the issue for you. I've never seen any candidate who has got better press or had more people say he's a great guy, he'd be perfect, who was polling so low.
Why do you think that is? And what can you do about it? I mean for many people, this is -- and to use the gambling parlance in Vegas -- your last throw of the dice. You're putting all your chips on New Hampshire.
What's indeed fascinating is that as NewsBusters has been reporting for months, it's been quite clear the media have been pulling for Huntsman - including Morgan:
- Time Taps Patti Davis to Insist Reagan Debate Shows Candidates, Except for Huntsman, Lack Character
- NBC Reporter to Huntsman: Are Perry and Bachmann 'Too Far Right to Win?'
- MSNBC Touts 'Anti-Republican' Jon Huntsman vs Tea Party 'Patriotic Anarchists'
- Piers Morgan Butters Up Moderate Republican Jon Huntsman
- Newsweek's Tomasky: Huntsman a 'Narrow Thread of Hope' for GOP
- Morning Joe Hearts Huntsman
- Time Anoints Obama Ambassador Jon Huntsman as the GOP 'Cool Kid' In Weakest Field Since 1940?
- Jon Huntsman Jr., the Latest McCain-Style Moderate Republican Pushed by NY Times
With all that great press, Huntsman's still polling low.
I guess liberal media members aren't going to be able to nominate the most liberal Republican presidential candidate in the field this time like they did in 2008.
What a shame.