Cool Hand Barack
View video here.
Not only does it represent the epitome of good-natured cool, it comes in stark contrast to the patented glare that Hillary aims at those who draw her ire. We've often illustrated the death-ray genre here at NB; you'll find a representative image after the jump from last night's debate.
Obama's gesture speaks largely for itself, but let's don our amateur body-language expert hat:
- Hillary is saying something with which Obama strongly disagrees and to which he feels the need to respond. But Barack doesn't bother even glancing at her.
- Far from glaring, he breaks out in a smile that is pleasant, not exaggerated for ironic effect.
- Like a good student, he politely raises his hand and asks for his turn to speak.
- But so self-assured is Obama, he doesn't even raise his head to make sure his gesture's being noticed -- Barack's confident people are paying attention.
- And as for being ready from day one, Obama even manages to demonstrate his multi-tasking ability, jotting notes all the while.
Note: trying to fall asleep last night, I played the debate over in my mind and had chosen this moment to illustrate how and why Obama had won. I figured the media would overlook it, and had already drafted a headline along the lines "MSM Ignores Obama's Winning Gesture." But up it popped on Today. Score one for NBC.