Lefty Blogosphere Turns on Dime to Promote McCain Smear
Fortunately, one Lefty blogger -- Greg Sargent -- stopped to think about what they were making a fuss about...
Let's try a little experiment. Let's take the meat of the big New York Times story and substitute the words "Dem Presidential Hopeful" for "John McCain" [...] If these words had appeared on the front page of The New York Times, wouldn't we all be yelling and stamping our feet about "panty sniffing" and condemning the use of anonymous sources who suggest a possible affair that may or may not have happened and wasn't directly alleged by anyone?The answer is "Yes, the Left would." Come on, do you even need to ask? Am I the only one who remembers...
That's a sincere question. Wouldn't we?
- ...2004, when John Kerry was accused of having an affair.
- ...2007, when John Edwards was accused of having an affair.
Today, they're covering the vague allegations. Enthusiastically.
So this is the pattern:
- Thinly-sourced, unconfirmed 2004 rumor that a Democrat may have had an affair: the mainstream media won't cover it, and the Left bulldozes those who mention it.
- Thinly-sourced, unconfirmed 2007 rumor that a Democrat may have had an affair: the mainstream media won't cover it, and the Left bulldozes those who mention it.
- Thinly-sourced, unconfirmed 2008 rumor that a Republican may have had an affair: Front page of the New York Times