There have been a lot of ridiculous comments made in the past week since Politico published its hit piece on Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain, but one of the most absurd yet came from Newsweek's Eleanor Clift this weekend.
Appearing on PBS's McLaughlin Group, Clift actually said, "This is the press doing what the press should be doing, and they should have done due diligence on this candidate earlier on...He got a free ride for a good long while." (video follows with transcript and commentary):
ELEANOR CLIFT, NEWSWEEK CONTRIBUTING EDITOR: Well, there were financial settlements that were made, and the women’s anonymity so far has been protected. I'll bet if this story continues to play out the women may step forward and we may hear their side. But Pat says on the one hand he is being victimized because he's black and because he’s a conservative. But on the other hand there may be some substance to the charges. I mean, this is the press doing what the press should be doing, and they should have done due diligence on this candidate earlier on. I think there was an assumption and there still is an assumption that he is unlikely to be the Republican nominee, and he is very unlikely to be president. So he got a free ride for a good long while.
Is this what Clift considers a free ride?
- Sour Schieffer Scolds Cain for Ad: ‘It’s Not Funny to Me...I Don’t Think It Serves the Country Well’
- ABC's Theme of the Day: Trash GOP Candidates like 'National Distraction' Cain
- MSNBC's Bashir Mocks 'Chicken Hawk' Herman Cain, Despite Dept. Of Navy Service
- Scarborough: Cain Needs To Study Foreign Policy Like Palin Should Have
- Bashir Asks Liberal Guest 'Do You Think Herman Cain Can Spell the Word "Iraq?"'
- NBC Portrays Herman Cain's Presidential Run as Money-Making Scheme
- Anti-Bullying Bully Dan Savage Invites Herman Cain to Suck his D**k
- Time Magazine Asks: 'Is Herman Cain the Most Unctuous Black Man Alive?'