Last week, Roseanne Barr said the wealthy should be beheaded if they don't willingly part with some of their money.
Days later, Deadline Hollywood reported that the geniuses at NBC have decided to give this lunatic her own sitcom:
In 1987, NBC had first crack at a working class family sitcom starring then-up-and-coming standup comedian Roseanne Barr. Legendary NBC programmer Brandon Tartikoff famously passed, and the project landed at ABC where it went to series, Roseanne, which ran for 9 years. Twenty four years later, another sitcom about a lower middle class family starring Barr hit the market, and this time NBC and its new programming chief Bob Greenblatt jumped on it. The network bought the multi-camera comedy, titled Downwardly Mobile, with a script commitment plus penalty. Co-created by Barr, her boyfriend John Argent and former Roseanne executive producer Eric Gilliland, who will serve as showrunner, the ensemble comedy revolves around a family and friends living in a mobile home community.
As DH noted, the timing here is rather odd for about a week ago, Barr made some truly absurd statements to RT.com:
Does that look like a stable person you'd want representing your network?
Beyond this, Lifetime just canceled her series "Roseanne's Nuts" for abysmal ratings.
If that doesn't convince you of the lunacy in play here, take a gander at some of Barr's hits at NewsBusters:
- Roseanne Barr: 'I Couldn't Wait to Breed With Non-Jewish People'
- Roseanne Barr: Nazi Leaders Hitler, Goebbels and Himmler Were Jewish
- Roseanne Barr: Republicans 'Cherish the Freedom to Have Sex with Small Children'
- Roseanne Barr: Church-going Catholics 'Should Lose Custody' of Their Kids
- Deranged: Roseanne Barr Blames Maria Osmond’s Faith for Son’s Suicide
- Roseanne Barr: George W. Bush Stole All The Country's Money
- Roseanne Barr Dressed as Hitler Bakes Burnt 'Jew Cookies'
- Roseanne Barr: Destruction of Jews in Israel Assured by Gaza Attacks
That's just the last three years.
For this behavior, she deserves her own show on one of America's largest broadcast television networks?
Heaven help us.
As a post facto observation, this decision came the same week ESPN cut ties with Hank Williams Jr. for his intemperate remarks concerning Barack Obama.
So an anti-semite that has made numerous disgraceful comments about former President Bush gets a new sitcom while a country singer with no prior history of inflammatory remarks is terminated immediately for a stupid comment about President Obama.
What are these major networks telling us?
(H/T Big Hollywood)