President Obama is set to give his seventh State of the Union address on Tuesday night and on Monday, January 19, CBS This Morning did its best to give him some free publicity during their preview of the president’s annual speech. CBS reporter Bill Plante hyped President Obama’s tax increase agenda and argued that the goal of his State of the Union “is to put Republicans on the defensive as the party of the rich.”
By Rich Noyes | January 19, 2015 | 9:05 AM EST
Tuesday night, Barack Obama delivers his second-to-last State of the Union address, this time as a lame duck President with relatively low approval ratings and facing a Congress entirely controlled by the opposition party. But if history is a guide, he can count on encouraging reviews from many in the establishment media.
By Tim Graham | January 19, 2015 | 7:07 AM EST
Five years after his 15 minutes of fame, The Washington Post put Florida minister Terry Jones -- described as an "infamous burner of Korans" -- on Page One. His "notoriety" as "America's most brazen offender of Islam" was helping him sell french fries at a mall.
The Washington Post has never used a word like "infamous" or "notorious" or "brazen" to describe late-term abortionist Leroy Carhart, who's been eliminating babies in the Washington suburb of Germantown, Maryland over the last four years.
By Tom Blumer | January 19, 2015 | 1:19 AM EST
The popularity of "American Sniper," the story of Navy SEAL Chris Kyle, has "shocked" Hollywood. Estimates are that by the time the four-day Martin Luther King holiday weekend ends, the Clint Eastwood-directed film will gross over $100 million and smash records in several R-rated film categories.
That such a movie has been so well received, causing long waiting lines in both red and blue America, has already caused certain leftists to come unglued (examples here, here [warning: profane language] and here). Perhaps the most appalling reaction on the loony left has come from Michael Moore, who, without naming the film itself, described snipers as "cowards" in the following tweet:
By Tim Graham | January 18, 2015 | 8:51 PM EST
Is there anything less newsworthy than the mostly American “womenpriest” movement protesting the Roman Catholic Church? Is there anything that’s more of a stale rerun?
On Sunday's Today, feminist NBC correspondent celebrated 80-year-old "dynamo" doing "something radical" and "sticking a well-manicured finger in the eye of the established Catholic Church."
NY Times Editorial Page Defends IRS in Tea Party Targeting Scandal – 'Democratic Groups...Also Scrutinized'By Clay Waters | January 18, 2015 | 7:42 PM EST
Sunday's New York Times editorial page came once again to the defense of the Internal Revenue Service against the depredations of congressional conservatives, even suggesting the IRS's targeting of Tea Party groups amounted to nothing: "...payback demanded by House Republicans to penalize the I.R.S. for daring to scrutinize Tea Party operations that tried to claim exemptions under the tax code for nonpolitical groups. Democratic groups trying the same thing were also scrutinized."
By Jack Coleman | January 18, 2015 | 7:15 PM EST
This just might qualify for whopper of the week, or at least this morning.
This just might qualify for whopper of the week, or at least this morning.
Those drawn to politics will surely remember former Obama press secretary Robert Gibbs, whose bland guy-next-door facade failed to hide a chronic tendency to misdirect.
By Melissa Mullins | January 18, 2015 | 7:10 PM EST
Via Billy Hallowell of The Blaze, we saw a recent Deadspin blog, “ESPN’s Dave Pasch Outs Self As Creationist After Receiving Darwin Book.” The sports blog of the sleazy liberal Gawker Media Group seemed to take issue with the fact that ESPN sportscaster Dave Pasch dismissed Charles Darwin’s book The Origin of Species, given to him by fellow ESPN broadcaster Bill Walton.
By Jeffrey Meyer | January 18, 2015 | 2:34 PM EST
On Sunday, CBS Face the Nation moderator Bob Schieffer took the White House to task for failing to send a senior administration official to the Paris unity march following the terrorist attack on the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo. Speaking to Dan Pfeiffer, Senior Advisor to President Obama, Schieffer argued that “it seems to me that the White House is always a little late in recognizing the significance of such things. I mean, we saw that happen some times over the summer. What, is the staff let[ting] the president down?”
By P.J. Gladnick | January 18, 2015 | 2:01 PM EST
In stark contrast the triumphal certitude of much of the MSM that 2014 was the hottest year on record, NASA scientists now admits there is only a 38% chance that this is correct. This means there is a 62% chance they were wrong.
Lefty Writer Relays Foreign Gripes About America’s ‘Trigger-Happiness’ and ‘Cutthroat Free-Marketeering’By Tom Johnson | January 18, 2015 | 1:42 PM EST
Ann Jones has doubts about allegations that America is “crazy,” but adds, “Some people who question me say that the U.S. is ‘paranoid,’ ‘backward,’ ‘behind the times,’ ‘vain,’ ‘greedy,’ ‘self-absorbed,’ or simply ‘dumb.’ Others, more charitably, imply that Americans are merely ‘ill-informed,’ ‘misguided,’ ‘misled,’ or ‘asleep,’ and could still recover sanity. But wherever I travel, the questions follow.”
By Jeffrey Meyer | January 18, 2015 | 11:41 AM EST
Monday is Martin Luther King Day, a federal holiday signed into law by President Ronald Reagan in 1983, and on Sunday morning, ABC’s This Week decided it was the perfect opportunity to scold the Republican over his civil rights record. During the show’s weekly “powerhouse puzzler” segment, guest host Martha Raddatz asked the This Week panel “which president signed a law making MLK’s birthday a national holiday?” The ABC reporter then played a clip from ABC’s report on the signing ceremony in which ABC’s Sam Donaldson proclaimed “the president and Dr. King's widow walking into the Rose Garden together in an effort to spruce up Mr. Reagan's tattered civil rights image.”
By Tom Blumer | January 18, 2015 | 10:20 AM EST
The nation's establishment press is virtually ignoring the existence of horrifying and officially approved Islamic State videos showing the executions of accused homosexuals and adulterers.
A search this morning at Google News on "Islamic State gay" (with "Islamic State" in quotes, showing duplicates) for items appearing since January 14 returned 83 results. Roughly 30 of them are directly relevant, and almost none are from U.S. establishment press outlets. As usual, the British tabloids and new media outlets are ahead of the game. Here are several paragraphs from the U.K. Daily Mail's coverage (bolds are mine):
By Tim Graham | January 18, 2015 | 8:08 AM EST
While the national media relentlessly focus on all the problems in politics belonging to the Republican Party, even after the 2014 midterms – after which they projected all the same problems with minorities and the “far right” Tea Party faction in 2016 that they’d spent the last two years predicting.
What most journalists fail to do – at least in public – is diagnose anything wrong with the Democrats. For that, political junkies could turn to The Economist magazine, a popular Washington read for a British viewpoint. Their “Lexington” column lamented the Democrats right now are “An Army Without Generals.”
By Tim Graham | January 18, 2015 | 7:11 AM EST
James Taranto at The Wall Street Journal picked on the liberal "explainer" site Vox.com on Friday under the headline "Two Voxen In One!" In a story on "11 myths about homelessness," German Lopez seemed very contradictory. There was "Myth #4: Homelessness is typically related to mental illness."
Lopez then immediately allowed that "Serious mental illnesses are more prevalent among the homeless."